Monday, February 16, 2009

2.5 Years Old and Still Breastfeeding...Everywhere



Kyle,  now in toddler school, 2-1/2 years old, still breastfeeding and no signs of weaning.  Even in their most favorite place, Hongkong Disneyland,  when hunger strikes, she drops everything to breastfeed.   JM, Kyle's kuya, now almost 5 years old, stopped breastfeeding when he was 3 months short of his 4th birthday.  I started weaning him gently on his 2nd year but unsuccessful.  So, I continued to breastfeed, at times loving it, at other times wishing he'd stop already.  Even as I got pregnant with Kyle, I continued to breastfeed him despite doctor's advice.   And tandem fed both JM & Kyle for 15 months.  Surprisingly one day, JM just decided not to breastfeed as he said, "I'm a big boy now, mom.  Breastmilk is only for babies."  That brought tears to my eyes with so much pride for what my little baby boy has become.
As my mind begins to wish that I would stop breastfeeding soon after continously doing so for almost 5 years now, my heart softens at the sight of my little girl, my only princess, asking for milk.  Hence, I know that both of us are not ready yet.  Besides,  we still enjoy the many wonderful benefits of breastfeeding...
by Abbie Yabot

No comments: