Thursday, April 17, 2008

Breastfeeding in Public

by: Charlene Carlos


When my eldest, Macie, was breastfeeding, I used to get so stressed whenever I went out with her. She never took the bottle and nursed directly all throughout her 17 months of breastfeeding. Anyway, I was so stressed because I didn’t know where or how to breastfeed in public. Back then, malls didn’t have breastfeeding rooms! I also REFUSED to breastfeed in the ladies C.R. I mean, adults don’t eat in C.R.s, so why should we feed our babies in them?! UGH, GROSS!

But then I got the hang of it eventually. With my second child, Matteo, I was much more confident. I learned the “friendly breastfeeding” places: A secluded booth or table in a restaurant, the couch at the back of the store in Baby & Co. Podium, changing room in Lacoste and Picture Company, Gymboree’s breastfeeding room, etc. I also learned that the stores that catered to babies and kids were very supportive and offered me a secluded spot inside even if I wasn’t there to purchase anything. You’ll be amazed how supportive people are!

I also dressed better. I used better nursing shirts that were both stylish yet functional. Other times, I used the Maya Wrap, so I can position Matteo to breastfeed while he was in it. So people, who did look at me, didn’t really know that I was breastfeeding!

I’m pregnant with my third child now. And I’m excited to breastfeed again. I can’t wait to try out the new breastfeeding room at Rustan’s. I hear it’s pretty nice. I know that the Mall of Asia and other SM malls have them as well.

Go ahead, breastfeed in public. It's not as difficult as you think.

Here I am Breastfeeding Matteo in Disneyland

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi,

i also had the same experience. i was very conscious to breastfeed in public, thinking people would be staring at me. but after 7 months, i can say im more confident to breastfeed in public. i now know how to select the right places. i also keep in my mind that i have the right to breastfeed in public.

your article has encouraged me. thank you.

Ree said...

hi...very encouraging. may i ask what top you're wearing in the picture, and where i can get something like it?

Unknown said...

thanks for making a blog encouraging women to breastfeed in public! Small steps towards a more breastfeeding-friendly world go a long way...may our tribe increase!
tweensie