Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Mommy, Happy Baby


by Beverly Tan (mommy of Be-ann Tan)

Breastfeeding is so fulfilling.

I was unhappy at first because I wasn't able to breastfeed my daughter at birth, got so little support in the hospital and at home and gave her formula immediately.  I knew that even my daughter was unhappy because even after 2 months of mix feeding (later on I found out that she only got about 10% breastmilk and 90% formula), it was a struggle to give formula to her.  She would fuss and cry every now and then and it would take hours before she can finish 2 ozs.  It was like a nightmare because I really dreamed of breastfeeding exclusively the longest that I can.  And I knew that breastfeeding will make her happy.  She would suck (even if it was ineffective suckling at that time as I was advised after she was seen by the lactation counselor) but was content at the breast.

I read about relactation and tried working on it on my own with maximum determination.  My efforts were not enough though so I decided to look for someone who can help me out.  I was referred to Abbie Yabot (a certified Lactation Counselor) and immediately flew to Manila (from Bicol) to schedule a consultation/ series of consultations with her.  I immediately felt relieved during the first visit as her diagnosis was so accurate.  Together, we came up with a breastfeeding plan which I will follow for the next 6 weeks or so (she explained that the length of time is subject to the response of both the baby and the mommy).  

Relaxed and confident.  Those are 2 words I can never forget that she advised me.  It is true that breastfeeding is not 100% work, it's 99% psychological and 1% biological.  She helped me work on the 1% because those are the technical things but I had to work on  the psychological myself.  I even made a makeshift SNS (supplemental nursing system) because I couldn't find one in the market.

My 6 weeks of relactation included reducing bottle feeding gradually, shifting to cup feeding, teaching Be-ann to suck effectively at the breast and increasing our breastfeeding sessions.  I was monitoring wet diapers & her weight, giving formula alternately through SNS and cup.  It was a lot of hardwork and withought my determination and willpower, I knew that I would not have been successful.  

And I was, after about 6 weeks, I was fully breastfeeding my baby... NO MORE FORMULA!
All of these were truly worth it as I hug my 7 month old daughter now, truly happy with me as her primary  nutrition.  We just introduced solid foods to her and now, everytime she is at the breast, I see the smile on her lips.  So I can proudly say, we're a HAPPY MOMMY & HAPPY BABY :)

No comments: