Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Little Breastfeeding Machine

by Abbie Yabot

This is my long awaited daughter Kyle.  She's my princess and upto now, I still fall in love with her everytime I hold her.  Long awaited...yes!  After 3 kuyas, I finally have an apprentice...one I would be shopping with, go to the spa with, share rants and raves with...soon!

But for now, at 21 months, she is a total breastfeeding machine.  One of her favorites is breastfeeding during trips.   And so, I have mastered how to breastfeed while driving (not advised and not safe definitely).  Eventually, my mommy schedule drove me crazy so I had to get a driver which also made it easier for me to breastfeed Kyle.  Once she gets in the car, her routine is to nurse, no matter how long the travel time is.

She also is an acrobatic nurser.  She can nurse in all sorts of positions and can even move around while doing so.  Sometimes, you'd imagine she was doing yoga or ballet while she was at the breast.

This morning,  I just realized that she truly is addicted to breastfeeding.  Her yaya went home for vacation for a week and I guess she is also coping with the change.  For 3 days now, whenever we're together, all she'd like to do is nurse.  Sometimes, to my delight.... other times, it plainly is exhausting.  Imagine, her taking a bath while breastfeeding.  Sitting down on the non slip mat on the floor, she lay down (didn't want to stand up) and only allowed me to shower her if she was attached to the breast, hay!  I was very careful not to put water in her eyes, nose or ears but it really felt so weird.  

I actually enjoy nursing my kids and have been nursing for over 4 years now.  That is why somehow, I know I am also looking forward to weaning at least after Kyle turns 2.  Till then,  my little breastfeeding machine will still be my priority :)

2 comments:

Ree said...

hey abie. heard you speak at the mom expo in rockwell. it's really encouraging to hear about moms and babies who breastfeed beyond the first year. raine is almost 14 months, and she still doesn't show signs of wanting to wean. we co-sleep and at night she half wakes, crying a bit and rooting for my breast. i'm trying to move her to her own bed soon, and i was wondering if you had to deal with a situation like this, if you have any tips? also, how is kyle's solid food intake? raine is a sporadic eater, am not too sure if i should let her feed at will or impose some kind of limit. anyway, any tips would be great :) thanks

IsisEvasco said...

HI Abie, Ree,

Me too, my daughter, 7 months, still shows no signs of weaning, even after i went back to work 5 months ago.

She's already eating solids, those mashed potatoes, squash. plus gerber when we're going out. so far, she's doing well.

i hope to see you on upcoming sessions. when is it by the way?